Oops apologies. Should send this on gentoo-user email address.

Since a recent upgrade of polkit (I think) as a normal user I can no
longer shutdown using log out, shutdown option not available. As root
using shutdown only logs you out but does not shutdown.

On a second machine as a normal user I can see shutdown but this only
logs me out.

Are we supposed to write our own rules for this?

I am in plugdev group and have dbus, consolekit and polkit in use flags.

I cannot see any difference between config files on 2 machines but 1 is
a laptop the other desktop???

Any suggestions other than converting to e16? (which is becoming
tempting). This seems to happen every upgrade of xfce4/polkit/dbus.

John D Maunder