On 07/06/2011 01:11 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> So I switched to -9999 nouveau and now I have endless shit with
> crashes. But I can tolerate that and not whinge.

Just today I tried the nouveau driver again after almost a year, and
found no change.  The test was on my elderly machine with an ancient
GeForce FX 5200.  I'm sure the nouveau devs lost interest in that chip
long ago, so no surprise.

When I run glxgears with the proprietary nvidia driver I get 3000 FPS.
With nouveau I get 54 FPS.

No, that's not a typo.  The proprietary driver is 55 times faster than
nouveau.

What results are you seeing?