On Wednesday 20 July 2011 16:09:58 Stroller did opine thusly:
> On 19 July 2011, at 21:47, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Screens; a choice between
> > 1920x1080 WLED
> > 1920x1080 RGBLED IPS
> >
> > The IPS screen only comes with an NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB
> > GDDR3, The regular screen comes with these choices of video
> > card:
> >
> > AMD FirePro M5950 Mobility Pro with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated memory
> > NVIDIA Quadro 1000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
> > NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
> >
> > The price difference is substantial. Considering that my usage
> > is
> > nothing more stressful than KDE eye-candy and mplayer, is the
> > IPS
> > screen worth the extra price?
>
> I *believe* that the difference between IPS screen and the other may
> manifest itself in things like viewing angle, accuracy or
> consistency of colour reproduction (for photographers / graphics
> designers) and clarity of viewing in daylight.
>
> This thread is 5 years old, so there may well have been developments
> since:
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/44510-what-ips-screen.html
>
> This may not matter at all to you, and maybe you're just asking
> about the GPU, but I thought I'd address the question you actually
> posed. ;)

Another admin just had his new notebook delivered with an IPS screen,
so we sat for 3 hours inspecting it while an installer removed
Windows.

It's true that the IPS does have a fantastic viewing angle. I only
started seeing bothersome colour shifts at about a 70degree angle
viewed from the 10 o'clock position. Which is all great except that
no-one in their right mind looks at a notebook from that acute angle.
And I've never needed hugely accurate colour reproduction in 20 years,
so I doubt that will change either anytime soon.

My current machine is 1920x1200 with a regular display, and it's
plenty good enough for me so I can't honestly say I see a need for the
latest and greatest. But there's always a chance someone who's used
one for a while will report significantly reduced eye strain or
similar (impossible to detect this in the first short trial), hence my
original question.

I'm tending to think the ATI and a regular screen is the way forward,
now to google how good the linux driver support is (my last ATI GPU
was 6 years ago)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com