>> Then why not have a really big swap file?  If swap is useful as a
>> second layer of caching behind RAM, why doesn't everyone with some
>> extra hard drive space have a 100GB swap file?
>
> I have 12GB of RAM and 12GB of swap on my main PC. Why? Because... why
> not? :) After 5 days uptime, it actually has 89M of swap used for some
> reason. It has over 10GB cached. All of my sysctl vm.* settings have
> been left to the defaults. So I guess it just pushed some unused stuff
> out to swap to make room for more caching.

That's what I'm curious about.  If some swap is good, why isn't more
better?  Paul has demonstrated that a Linux system will put at least
10GB to use and probably much more given the opportunity.  Disk space
is so cheap, why isn't everyone running a 10GB or 100GB swap since
Linux will actually put it to use?

- Grant