On Sun 31 July 2011 12:08:01 Peter Humphrey did opine thusly:
> On Sunday 31 July 2011 09:54:07 Albert Hopkins wrote:
> > Or perhaps I'm just not understanding the problem.
>
> He's asking why upgrading world or system doesn't include upgrading
> portage.
>
> "Or perhaps I'm just not understanding the problem."  :-)

It's sensible really - portage is not the only package manager out
there and therefore should not be in @system. The user did not put
portage in world, and did not use -D, so portage is not updating the
package.

The solution is simple - all users should put their preferred package
manager into world and what Stroller is seeing will stop happening.

Zac can't force portage into system like he could with less and nano
and have few or non side-effects. A virtual package manager only says
that you *have* one, not *which* one. So as usual for Gentoo, the user
gets to tell the software which one it is.

I don't see a problem.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com