On 9 September 2011, at 04:50, Moshe Kamensky wrote:
> I was happy to soon... It now boots, but after asking me about keyboard
> layout, it tries to find the cdrom and fails, with messages like:
>
> Looking for CDROM
>
> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda1
> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda2
> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda3
> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda4
> Media not found
> Determining root device...
> Could not find the root block device in .
> Please specify another value or: press Enter for the same, type "shell
> for a shell, or "q" to skip
>
> (The /dev/sda* are partitions on my HD).

What CD are you trying to boot? I would try different LiveCDs until you find
one that works.

The Gentoo wiki suggests that an older version of the Gentoo Minimal CD might
work (2008.0 or earlier), otherwise try SystemRescueCD, Knoppix, Ubuntu and
others.

I appreciate that Google may not easily distinguish between 8 or 12 completely
different hardware configurations all called "macbook", but the information is
out there.

http://www.google.com/search?q=gentoo%20install%20macbook%20pro

If yours is a newish model then click on the "more search tools" link on the
left hand side and choose "past year".

This discusses booting a MacBoo Pro in some detail:
http://myhumblecorner.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/gentoo-and-a-little-ubuntu-on-a-macbook-pro-53/
It probably won't be your model, but it's worth checking.

When installing Gentoo the important thing is getting booted from LiveCD to a
command prompt. If you can achieve that then you know that you can surely
install Gentoo, because from then onwards you're only unpacking a tarball and
setting up a bootloader.

Stroller.