* Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> [09/09/11 12:27]:

> On 9 September 2011, at 04:50, Moshe Kamensky wrote:
> > I was happy to soon... It now boots, but after asking me about keyboard
> > layout, it tries to find the cdrom and fails, with messages like:
> >
> > Looking for CDROM
> >
> > Attempting to mount media /dev/sda1
> > Attempting to mount media /dev/sda2
> > Attempting to mount media /dev/sda3
> > Attempting to mount media /dev/sda4
> > Media not found
> > Determining root device...
> > Could not find the root block device in .
> > Please specify another value or: press Enter for the same, type "shell
> > for a shell, or "q" to skip
> >
> > (The /dev/sda* are partitions on my HD).
>
> What CD are you trying to boot? I would try different LiveCDs until you find
> one that works.
>
> The Gentoo wiki suggests that an older version of the Gentoo Minimal CD might
> work (2008.0 or earlier), otherwise try SystemRescueCD, Knoppix, Ubuntu and
> others.

Thanks for the help. I was using the latest LiveCD version (Sep 8, I
believe). I also tried a recent grml, no luck. I could probably make it
work, but I have no time right now. I am now running Gentoo within
VirtualBox, which works fine and is actually better, because some people
are using the osx. Anyway, thank for the help.

Moshe