Hi, Michael.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 05:33:34PM +0200, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> Hi Alan,

> On Monday, 12. September 2011 15:02:48 Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Hope nobody minds me starting a new thread with an accurate name.

> > Which version of udev is it that has this nauseating feature of needing
> > /usr loaded to boot?

> > Somewhere in that version's source will be several (or lots of) "/usr".
> > Just how difficult is it going to be to replace "/usr/bin" with "/bin"
> > throughout the source?

> you misunderstood something. udev is able to run arbitrary scripts. Some of
> those scripts are located in /usr/* or need something there. I doubt you will
> find references to /usr in the udev-sources.

Well, I'm a hacker.  udev is free source, therefore fair game.  I don't
intend to put up with this nonsense without a fight.  As far as I can
make out, this is just one guy, Kay Sievers, who's on a power trip.  Are
there any indications at all that he actually talked to anybody in the
wide world before making such a far reaching decision?

On my current system, udev (164-r2) works without an earlily loaded /usr.
Seemingly, later versions don't.  That was why I was asking for somebody
to identify one of these later versions for me.

> > udev is part of the kernel.

> No. udev is usperspace.

OK, udev is in userspace, _very_ _close_ to the kernel.  ;-)

> > How come the kernel hackers aren't up in arms about this as much as
> > we are?  Or are they, maybe?  In which case, maybe the kernel people
> > would welcome an option to disrequire the early mounting of /usr as
> > much as we would.

> > Anyhow, I'd like to take a peek at the source code which does this evil
> > thing.  Would somebody please tell me which version of udev is involved.

> Every udev version works this way.

My udev (164-r2) is just fine at the moment.  I'm not sure what you mean
by that statement.

> Fixing udev to continue working with separate /usr is far from trivial imo.
> Changing some paths is not the way to go for sure.

Maybe, maybe not.  But it seems a changing of paths (/ -> /usr) is
precisely what is breaking newer udevs.  It might be possible to change
them back.  This could involve moving a fair amount of stuff from /usr to
/, but not half as much as moving the entire /usr partition.

> First of all, udev has to distinguish between "device not present" and
> "script
> error of some kind". Failing scripts have to be queued somehow for later
> execution. If a script keeps failing, it has to be removed from that queue,
> with a message to syslog or something like that. If udev needs a script in
> /usr/* to mount /usr then there's a chicken-egg-problem, which could be hard
> to solve (if possible at all without moving things from /usr/ to /).
> Note, that I am wild guessing here, I did not study the udev sources or any
> related script/rule :)

This sounds like a separate (if related) problem.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).