On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 04:18:38 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Monday 12 September 2011 21:31:09 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > They could have put everything on /usr 30 years ago, if they'd have seen
> > fit.  They saw then good reason not to.  What you and KS seem oblivious
> > to is the reason for /bin, /sbin.  It is to allow a small boot so as to
> > permit system maintenance - fsck, resizing or moving partions, even
> > undeleting files - all these things are difficult, or even impossible
> > perhaps, if the pertinent partition is mounted.
>
> It wouldn't be everyone's favourite method, but for those purposes I always
> install a small rescue system at the end of the the disk, with its own entry
> in grub.conf, and with fstab and mount points arranged for convenient
> maintenance.
>
> And nowadays, of course, the ready availability of rescue systems on USB, CD
> etc saves you even having to set that up if you prefer not to. That might
> not be useful on server farms, though.

You'd still need to keep those updated with current versions and tools. Even
for my desktop I find that a non-usable solution.
The rescue-systems are nice, for when my system won't boot at all. The
likelihood of needing a rescue-cd/usb/... will increase substantially when all
partitions need to be mounted even before init starts.
Especially as I don't expect an automated tool that will keep the init*
updated after EVERY emerge/kernel-compile/....

I see a requirement for every ebuild to add the following:
*** pseude-code ***
if ebuild part of set in init* then
  rebuild init*
*******

When the rebuild part ever breaks, the whole boot-process will break. We'll be
making Linux worse then MS Windows 95.

--
Joost