On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 05:10:40PM -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> > Is it simply subscribing to -dev and voicing the conversation there?
>
>> Of course not. But please, do that if you think it will help to steer
>> Gentoo to whatever direction do you think is the correct one.
>> Personaly I don't think the devs (who, AFAIK, do not receive a single
>> dime for working on Gentoo) will appreciate anybody telling them how
>> they should do their jobs, the one they do for free. But that's just
>> me.
>
> I think so.  Most devs are grateful for (polite) feedback, and take it
> into account when doing their work.  I suspect they're unaware of just
> how much this change to booting is disliked by Gentoo users.

Then, by all means, do it. I would think is a little silly to think
that the devs are "unaware" of the huge threads this change has
generated on -user, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe someone should tell
them.

>> No, by "you know what needs to be done" I mean: code. Contribute.
>> Become a developer. Make shit happens the way you think it should
>> happen.
>
>> Shut up and code. Google it, I didn't come with the phrase.
>
> Just as a matter of interest, how much coding have you done for open
> source or free software?  It was conspicuously absent from the CV you
> posted here a few days ago.

Well, it wasn't really my CV (I would not bore to death the list with
it), and I don't think it has nothing to do with the dicussion at
hand, but the answer is: "not that much". There is code of mine in
several projects in the stack, but it's usually simple things or
one-liners. I have (like many on this list) my share of bug reports,
first versions of ebuilds and testing, but nothing out of the
ordinary. I enjoy too much so many other pleasures to be able to give
so much of my free time to free software development.

And that's exactly why I respect so much the devs. They actually do
it. It's not only pragmatism to say that whatever happens it will
happen because of the people coding whatever is necessary for it to
happen. It's also because they actually *deserve* to be the ones that
decide what should happen.

Code talks.

Regards.
--