On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Of course not. But please, do that if you think it will help to steer
>> > Gentoo to whatever direction do you think is the correct one.
>> > Personaly I don't think the devs (who, AFAIK, do not receive a single
>> > dime for working on Gentoo) will appreciate anybody telling them how
>> > they should do their jobs, the one they do for free. But that's just
>> > me.
>>
>> I think so.  Most devs are grateful for (polite) feedback, and take it
>> into account when doing their work.  I suspect they're unaware of just
>> how much this change to booting is disliked by Gentoo users.
>
> Could someone please nudge them this way for them to get first hand feedback
> on their decision.

That's actually something I wonder. Why, if this change seems to stir
so many, nobody has actually showed up in -dev?

>> > No, by "you know what needs to be done" I mean: code. Contribute.
>> > Become a developer. Make shit happens the way you think it should
>> > happen.
>> >
>> > Shut up and code. Google it, I didn't come with the phrase.
>
> Not all of us have the capability to code,

Exactly my point. And that's why I've been saying the decision is
going to be made by the people who code.

> although all of us are grateful for
> good code devs produce and often express our user needs and wants in this M/L.
>

>> Just as a matter of interest, how much coding have you done for open
>> source or free software?  It was conspicuously absent from the CV you
>> posted here a few days ago.
>
> Canek may wish to keep his reply off list because it wouldn't be of particular
> interest to many and is not relevant with Gentoo being aligned with a flawed
> (IMHO) design principle.

Well said.

> Better we focus our efforts instead on influencing Gentoo devs and upstream
> decision making on this matter before it defaults into a design orthodoxy for
> Linux.

That would be a much more sensible thing to do, I would think.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México