On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:47:34 -0400
Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The main purpose of udev is to populate the /dev-tree.
> > The running of scripts based on /dev-tree events should be in a
> > seperate tool that starts later in the boot-process.
>
> I'm not *entirely* convinced this is the case, because it feels like
> some situations like network devices (nbd, iSCSI) or loopback would
> require userland tools to bring up once networking is up.

I'd say you are both right.

Joost gave the correct (in my view) overriding principle.
You gave what to do when that just doesn't cut it.

Real-world systems involve exceptions for unusual (but valid)
conditions. The best solution is to deal with the exception within a
narrow focus, instead of just allowing everything like udev seems
determined to go to.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com