On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM, pk <pete...@coolmail.se> wrote:
> I think you need to take a closer look; it does support a lot of
> "modern" parts of the "stack" (as you call it); it's just focused on the
> things that matters (for an embedded system). It is the mindset that I'm
> after; it seems even kernel developers are thinking "oh, we have so much
> memory here so it doesn't matter if we use a few GB here" (yes, I'm
> exaggerating). Intel and AMD can't increase the clocks anymore so
> they've started to throw more hardware on the ever increasing demand for
> computing power... there will be a time when the "bloat" will take it's
> toll on more users.

The kernel configuration process is actually very nice and very easy.
You an remove any features you don't want or need. (I'm referring to,
e.g. menuconfig. I haven't really used genkernel)

The first time's the hardest. After you know what parts you need for a
given box, it's easy.

>> Many of us actually like the modern features of the kernel, glibc,
>> udev, dbus, systemd, pulseaudio, glib, X.org, GStreamer, Gtk+ and
>
> There's a lot of people that like Windows 7 and MacOS X too, I hear.
> What the ultimate goal (in my view) for systemd, pulseaudio etc. seems
> to be is to mimic (poorly) the mentioned OS's.

FWIW, PulseAudio predates Windows Vista, Windows 7, even MacOS X. I
ran it on a 200MHz machine back when it was called Enlightenment Sound
Daemon.

With as much as I've poked at PulseAudio, I'd have to say I like it
better than I like the Vista/Win7 implementation of sound daemons.

There's probably not much one can do with PA that one couldn't do with
jackd, which is probably better in terms of latency, but I never got
around to learning jackd.

> The Linux kernel, glibc and X I "like", udev used to be nice (well, my
> currently installed version works fine), the rest is redundant (more or
> less) - in my view (particularly pulseaudio & systemd); I really don't
> understand what problems they are solving.

While I was using PA (I'm not, currently), it was nice for being able
to monitor and tune the volume levels of individual programs. That can
be important when trying to manage two different VOIP apps, video
games and Pandora at the same time.

--
:wq