> It's not the ICMP that is being prohibited.

Understood, that's clear from the packet trace.

> is an ICMP "host unreachable" response from .250.  The extended reason
> for the unreachability is that there is an administrative policy
> preventing the traffic. It almost certainly *is* a firewall that's
> preventing this, one with a REJECT target, as REJECT specifies to
> return an ICMP unreachable packet.

Most firewalls i've seen send a spoofed TCP reset, not an ICMP when
rejecting TCP. However, iptables can do either. I have run iptables -F
and the tables are shown as clear with iptables -L.

proxy vhosts.d # iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain fail2ban-SSH (0 references)

Chain fail2ban-apache (0 references)
proxy vhosts.d #

> I suggest that you look more
> closely at the firewalling on .250. If there is definitely no
> firewalling going on (ie iptables -nvL shows only default policies and
> the default is ACCEPT for INPUT and OUTPUT chains) then could there be
> an intervening network device?

The devices are connected, there's only a switch between them (a
billion ADSL router).