On 10/07/2011 03:36 AM, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
>>> why would you do that?
>> Eventually, grub2 will be all that's available from portage. At that
>> point, I can either,
>>
>> 1) Install grub2 on some machines.
>>
>> 2) Maintain grub-legacy (and install media) myself.
>
> i really don't think thats the way its going to be. i think there will
> be grub and grub2 in portage potentially forever. like with python 2 and 3.
>
> even if not, 2) takes you one cp command and a little bit of disk space
> for the grub tarball.

Python2 will stick around because most packages (portage!) don't work
with python3. Grub doesn't have the same problem.

(2) requires me to at least,

  * Figure out how to build a Gentoo install CD
  * Fork grub-legacy on our servers somewhere
  * Test it against all future kernel releases
  * Document why we're doing this, and how to do the first three steps.

>>    * Upgrade a bunch of my servers at 4am?
> why not choose a convenient time to upgrade?

4am *is* the convenient time to upgrade.

>> If you still think it's "not much" then I'd be happy to have you do it
>> while I drink margaritas.
> no, i still don't think its as much of a big deal as you make of it.
> about as much work as a kernel upgrade. let's wait for grub2 to go
> stable before you send me that ticket ;)

This fails as a debate strategy since you wouldn't have to pay my
mortgage and feed me if you screwed up =)

Kernel upgrades usually take me a full day. I get to skip most of the
documentation step, but have to deal with heterogeneous configs. I'm not
saying that this is some huge problem on a cosmic scale, but it is going
to waste a day and risk downtime for no user-visible benefit.