On 2011-10-07, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 03:36 AM, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
>>> Eventually, grub2 will be all that's available from portage. At that
>>> point, I can either,
>>>
>>> 1) Install grub2 on some machines.
>>>
>>> 2) Maintain grub-legacy (and install media) myself.
>>
>> i really don't think thats the way its going to be. i think there will
>> be grub and grub2 in portage potentially forever. like with python 2 and 3.
>>
>> even if not, 2) takes you one cp command and a little bit of disk space
>> for the grub tarball.
>
> Python2 will stick around because most packages (portage!) don't work
> with python3. Grub doesn't have the same problem.
>
> (2) requires me to at least,
>
>   * Figure out how to build a Gentoo install CD
>   * Fork grub-legacy on our servers somewhere
>   * Test it against all future kernel releases
>   * Document why we're doing this, and how to do the first three steps.
>

>>>    * Upgrade a bunch of my servers at 4am?
>> why not choose a convenient time to upgrade?
>
> 4am *is* the convenient time to upgrade.

And usually on a weekend, so when the whole thing goes sideways you've
got at least one day to fix it before "regular business hours" start.
Unless it's a "consumer" server not a "business" server, then you
don't have a "weekend" for fixing stuff that goes wrong.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... he dominates the
                                  at               DECADENT SUBWAY SCENE.