On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grim...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Saturday, 15. October 2011 01:42:10 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> > /var/lib usually stores whole
>> > databases. The difference is important and relevant."
>
>> My systems has directories alsa, bluetooth, hp and many more
>> there that are not databases at all.
>>
>> So?
>> Which one? That /var is not going into /?
>
> No. That /var/lib contains databases. Is this so difficult to get?

I get it; it's just not relevant.

> On my system /var/lib/alsa contains data, that alsa uses to restore mixer-
> levels.

Yeah, it does.

> So *my* /var/lib is used during boot and *my* /var/lib has to be
> mounted by the initramfs.

No, it doesn't. What are you talking about? Look at /etc/init.d/alsasound:

depend() {
        need localmount
        after bootmisc modules isapnp coldplug hotplug
}

Look at the first need from alsasound depend: it says, that it goes
after localmount. If you have /var in NFS (a very weird setup for a
desktop machine) maybe it will cause problems: but then it would be
fault of OpenRC (or the alsasound init script). If /var is on a
different partition, localmount will mount it and *then* alsasound
will execute.

And it makes sense: the volume restoring doesn't matter until
immediately before running gdm and going into the desktop; of course
you can mount /var before that.

>That's the situation on nearly every gentoo system
> using sound

Yeah, and as I explained, thanks to need localmount there is no problem.

>(systemd might handle this different, I have no idea)

Yeah, it does more intelligently: as I said, the volume restoring is
only needed just before starting X.

> Got it? Your system is not the center of the world.

No, but I start to think you don't know *your* system. Check the
alsasound init script.

The /var directory doesn't need to be on the same partition as /. Period.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México