On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grim...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Saturday, 15. October 2011 03:34:27 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grim...@gmx.de>
> wrote:

>> > Nonsense. Action "add" is used for every device in your system, built-in
>> > or plugged in later. So this rule is not only used for
>> > hotplug-USB-soundcards, but for every soundcard in your system.
>>
>> Yeah, you are right. Sorry. I forgot about the little numbers udev uses:
>>
>> 10-dm.rules
>> 11-dm-lvm.rules
>> 13-dm-disk.rules
>> 60-persistent-storage.rules
>> 70-persistent-net.rules
>> 90-alsa-restore.rules
>>
>> So, the same way that in the alsasound init script "need localmount"
>> guarantee that /var is mounted, the 60-persistent-storage.rules
>> guarantees that /var is mounted before the 90-alsa-restore.rules
>> restores ALSA's volume.
>
> My 60-persisten-storage.rules creates device nodes. It does not mount
> anything. Is your's different?
>
>> Again, there is no problem. Yeah, the rule is executed at udev
>> execution time... but after the persisten-storage rule. So, you see,
>> no problem. No need for /var in the same partition as /.
>
> So my devices nodes for harddisks exist, when alsa restores it's levels. Does
> not solve anything.
>
>> You guys keep speculating.
>
> We are speculating?
> *You* were wrong about the assumtion that /var/lib contains databases.
> *You* were wrong about the assumtion how action "add" works.
> And *you* are wrong about the assumption, what 60-persistent-storage.rules
> does.
> Yet you claim, that *I* don't know my system.
> I'd say, do your homework, then we can talk.

I got that points wrong, I admit. I repeat, 3am here ;) I apogolize
for saying that to you Michael; I shouldn't have, even if I would have
been right (and I wasn't). Again, no excuse, but it's (actually) 4am
here now.

It doesn't change the fact that a) the system doesn't need /var/lib to
boot (ALSA does, and it's only for the cosmetic reason of restore the
volume, easily fixable latter in the boot process), and b) that nobody
is proposing that /var should go in the same partition as /.

In the end, my point is that either you would need an initramfs, or
Zac's proposal, or /usr in the same partition as / (depending on the
complexity of your setup). In any case, the fact is that, *as of now*,
a /var inside / is not necessary for boot. The fact is, *nobody* is
proposing nothing similar. And the fact is, with the *current* stack
(and yeah, that includes the latest versions of systemd and udev and
all the other crazy stuff), /var can happily live in its own
partition, without an initramfs.

Those are facts, and nobody can deny them. If you say that you fear
that /var could no longer be allowed to be on its own partition in the
future, well, you can analyze the situation that way, but there is not
a single fact (or evidence) that supports that. The whole /run and
/lock thing is proof that the developers want to keep /var on its own
partition.

And therefore, all speculation about forbidding a separated /var is
that. Speculation.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés