On 10/18/11 19:51, Dale wrote:
> Colleen Beamer wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> My CD drive will read data CD's, but will not play audio CD's.  I've
>> tried with kscd and Kaffeine.  Haven't installed amarok yet.  I've
>> checked and rechecked my settings in the kernel.  In /dev cdrom is a
>> symlink to sr0.  Nothing I've read in anything that came up in my google
>> search helped.
>>
>> Oops!  Forgot to add this to my original message:
>>
>> When I try to play an audio CD in kaffeine, I get an alert box that
>> says:
>> Cannot find input plgin for MRL "cdda://"
>>
>> cdda is one of my USE flags.  I have tried upgrading phonon-gstreamer
>> 'cause I read somewhere that the problem might be with phonon.
>> ------------------
>>

>   Is your user added to the cdrom or similar groups?
Yes!  :-)  In my more "newbie" days, this was one thing that bit ME in
the butt a few times so, I've learned to cover that base before I cry
wolf!  :-)

> One thing you could try, run the program as root in a terminal,
> Konsole here for me.
Running kscd in a console as root, starts kscd.  The first time I tried
it, I got a message about "asound".  I tried running it under by user id
and got no error message.  I ran it again as root thinking I would post
the message, but didn't get any message the second time.

Likewise, for kaffeine, but neither will play an audio CD when started
this way either.

> That will eliminate a permissions issue real quick and you can look
> for errors too.  If it works, then it is just a permissions problem.
> If it doesn't work, then it is something with the program itself or
> hardware related.  Let's hope for the permissions one.  It's easier to
> fix and you don't have to take the sides off the puter either.  If it
> is the program, well, who knows when that could get fixed.

I doubt that it is a hardware issue.  The drive reads data CD's and
sound works on the computer - in Juk (which I don't normally use 'cause
I prefer amarok) and also in kaffeine, I can play an audio file that I
have on my hard drive.

> Ma'am. < tips hat >

Sir.  <curtsies>

:-)