On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2011 6:51 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (I do that a lot because my
>> blood is pretty unique.)
>
> (sorry for the offtopicness, but I really am curious)
>
> AB+ ?
>
> Rgds,

Yeah, off topic, and a good first guess. I'm AB+ which makes my plasma
universal donor, but I'm also but also CMV- which makes it appropriate
for people who have suppressed immune systems. (Newborn babies, AIDS
patients, etc.) I've been donating for about 10 years now (since 9/11)
and in fact donated both platelets and plasma yesterday afternoon. I'm
told that in the U.S. the AB+/CMV- combination makes my type way below
1% in my age group. As a whole blood donor my AB+ can only be used by
other AB+ people, but my plasma can be used by anyone. Plasma can be
frozen and keeps for up to a year so I'm pretty much assured that
everything I donate is used somewhere.

I hope anyone reading who doesn't donate will at least consider
donating. Even donating once a year is a big help. It's not painful
and whole blood donations are easy. I do apheresis which takes longer
as it draws my blood, separates the contents, keeps the plasma &
platelets and then returns the rest of my blood back to my body.
(Spooky!) ;-)

Cheers,
Mark