Mick wrote:
Can you set in your BIOS which controller IDE or SATA manages the drives? I'm not sure why you have a symlink to your /usr/src/linux files from /boot (I don't understand it). In /boot you should have the image files themselves of your desired kernels (plus corresponding System and .config files).

I can but it seems to do the same thing either way. I don't reboot much so maybe it is something in my head. I'm pretty sure it used to list the drives on the main BIOS screen then when the controller screen comes up it detects them for AHCI. What gets me is them not being seen while I am in the BIOS itself. I know it used to see them there. Whenever I add a drive or something, I check to make sure it sees everything correctly before I even boot my OS. That way if I have a bad cable or forgot to connect something, I can fix it without booting and having to shutdown again. Saves time.

I copy my kernels by hand. Always have. It appears that under arch is x86 and x86_64 and I copied from x86_64. Thing is, that is only a symlink to x86 so it becomes a link in /boot instead. Well, when grub tries to follow the link, root is not mounted yet and it can't see the file. So, this one was on me. I got to remember not to copy from the x86_64 even tho I have a 64 bit rig.

Still puzzled about cfdisk tho. I did google and it appears to be quite common. I may make a backup to my spare drive and redo the partitions then copy back again. I used cfdisk to create them so one would think it could read them too.

Weird.

Dale

:-)  :-)