On Saturday 19 Nov 2011 15:57:58 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Samstag 19 November 2011, 14:42:07 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:

> > > # free
> > >
> > >               total       used       free     shared
> > >               buffers     cached>
> > >
> > > Mem:        640392     133084     507308          0      81360
> > > 23972
> > > -/+ buffers/cache:      27752     612640
> > > Swap:       257004       6156     250848
> > >
> > > May not be much by today's standards, but I never had an out of memory
> > > error that I can recall just compiling packages in the past.
> >
> > You have 640MB RAM and 256MB swap.  That isn't nearly enough to compile
> > big packages nowadays.
> >
> > You can try to increase your swap partition from 256MB to 3GB.  However,
> > hitting the swap during a compile is going to strangle your system.  To
> > maximize available RAM, logout of the desktop first, then shutdown the
> >
> > graphical environment entirely:
> >    /etc/init.d/xdm stop
> >
> > and then compile.  Start the desktop again after that:
> >    /etc/init.d/xdm start
> >
> > Modern versions of GCC and binutils are quite memory hungry, so your
> > only real option is to add more RAM.  You should have at least 2GB of it
> > these days for a Gentoo system.
>
> makeopts -j1 helps too.

Thanks guys.

From your comments it seems that it's been touch & go so far.  This is an old
PIII laptop which I have been keeping up to date without any problems until
now.  OOo was never emerged on this machine, I have always used ooo-bin.  I
did emerge chromium though (early versions) and have not had problems with
gcc.

Perhaps the latest Firefox broke its back.  Will try again to emerge it with -
j1 and see if it makes a difference or if that fails I will add a swap file to
give it some breathing space.
--
Regards,
Mick