On 12/25/11 14:08, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, CJoeB <colleen.bea...@gmail.com
> <mailto:colleen.bea...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Happy Holidays, Everyone,
>
>     To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know
>     about an
>     issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
>     Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
>     monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the
>     monitor), the
>     screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I
>     can get
>     the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
>     button.  This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.
>
>     Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still
>     had my
>     KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
>     anything.  So, I held the power button to cause a reboot.  The
>     computer
>     booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
>     the mouse work.
>
>     Any ideas?
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Colleen
>
>     --
>
>     Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter,
>     http://counter.li.org
>

> When the screen locks, is it the whole computer?  Can you do a CTRL+F7
> and get to a console?
When this happens, the screen is either black (cause the monitor has
gone to sleep), black, but I can see my mouse cursor and it will move
around if I move my mouse around, or I will have my KDE desktop, but
neither the mouse nor the keyboard will work.

> As to your current predicament, I would give a livecd a try and see if
> the keyboard and mouse work in that.

I can do this, but the computer isn't that old and up until today when I
rebooted the computer by holding the power button, on reboot, the mouse
and the keyboard worked fine.

And although the computer is new, I've screwed the warranty because I
removed Windows and there is only Linux on my computer.

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org