On Sunday 25 Dec 2011 19:20:56 Michael Hampicke wrote:
> > Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
> > KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
> > anything.  So, I held the power button to cause a reboot.  The computer
> > booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
> > the mouse work.
>
> Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
> ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers
>
> # emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)

+1

This is most likely related to the recent xorg updates, which as Michael
suggests should be resolved by remerging all the xorg related drivers.

I'm not sure why your monitor will not wake up from sleep though.  That's not
normal.  Have you tried going through the power settings of KDE in case it has
been set up to sleep to RAM or hibernate and your set up has some acpi problem
that causes it to crash?
--
Regards,
Mick