Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:
Actually, -u doesn't mean update, means filter packages that are not
updatable (are already the most recent version).
It's a filter option, not an action. Portage doesn't work with actions.

Not according to the man page:

       --update (-u)
Updates packages to the best version available, which may not always be the highest version number due to masking for testing and develop‐ ment. Package atoms specified on the command line are greedy, meaning that unspecific atoms may match multiple versions of slotted pack‐
              ages.

It is a command line, or make.conf, option but it tells emerge what to do. It's no different than -D or -N. They are all options but they tell portage what you want it to do. Update means update. That's why it is called update instead of something else.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"