On 01/01/2012 07:09 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:07:45 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

Usually it's because a world update wants to do both trivial version
bumps and replace major software at the same time. I can't take a
server down for an hour in the middle of the day to update Apache, but
I can bump timezone-data, sure.

Why would you need to take it down? All you need to do is restart Apache
after the update.

I have to test, like, 200 websites to make sure they still work. Something /always/ breaks.

Apache was just an example. PHP is the same way: functions get removed, renamed, or just subtly changed. I can't replace Dovecot with users logged in. I can't upgrade/restart postgresql while clients are hitting it. If I'm working remotely, I don't want to update openvpn, iptables, or even openssh. There's a long list of packages that I just ain't gonna mess with during the day.