Am Sonntag, 1. Januar 2012, 19:40:37 schrieb Michael Mol:
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> >
> > <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> it is not font related. the error from xsession-errors is pretty clear.
> >>
> >> --
> >> #163933
> >
> > I tend to agree Volker.
> >
> > Collen - on my system the pts entries are part of the tty group:
> >
> > mark@c2stable ~ $ ls -al /dev/pts/
> > total 0
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      0 Jan  1 07:55 .
> > drwxr-xr-x 18 root root   5080 Jan  1 15:07 ..
> > crw--w----  1 mark tty  136, 0 Jan  1 09:58 0
> > crw-------  1 mark tty  136, 1 Jan  1 15:23 1
> > crw-------  1 mark tty  136, 2 Jan  1 16:31 2
> > mark@c2stable ~ $
> >
> > Yours seemed to be assigned to you as a group and not tty.
>
> Then why would xterm work?

because xterm does not touch anything in /dev/pts

xterm uses /dev/ptmx
konsole uses /dev/ptmx and /dev/pts/X
now look at the permissions of ptmx and pts/*

ls -lh /dev/ptmx
crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 2  2. Jan 01:54 /dev/ptmx

and for pts I posted above/look at mark's output. Group setting is important.

--
#163933