On 01/02/12 14:42, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Colleen Beamer <colleen.bea...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>> Since there were no updates/upgrades immediately prior to this error, this
>>> could well have been a result of fs corruption, or memory problems. It
>>> would
>>> make sense to check what smartctl -a /dev/sda shows just in case.
>> I'd be willing to try this, but what is smartctl a part of?
> "smartctl -a" asks the hard disk device for diagnostic information.
Yes, but when I ran 'smartctl -a /dev/sda' it tells me the command isn't
found.  I did a search for this command and it was found in
/usr/share/bash-completion/ but if I run it (and it is executable to
owner (root)), using the full path to the command, it tells me the
command isn't found.  I also tried creating a symlink to it in /usr/bin
and I get the message:
/usr/bin/smartctl: line 3: have: command not found.

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org