On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 06:44:19 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> >> The associated line when you cat /etc/init.d/devfs on my system looks
> >> exactly like the line above.
> >
> > What about fstab? An entry in there could override the openrc setting.

> Good point, but how does that fstab entry appear if she hasn't done
> updates? I suppose she might have been editing in fstab and made a
> mistake? If she was editing she should certainly check it out.

I suspect Colleen did change something, but it didn't take effect until
a reboot. I've been caught like that before now, make a seemingly
insignificant change then get bitten a few weeks later when I reboot into
a new kernel and blame the kernel.

> Reading back through this thread I don't see whether Colleen tried my
> suggestion about a creating a new user. My thought was that some KDE
> config file somewhere got corrupted and a new user would not have that
> same issue.

I doubt it will make a difference in this case as it it down to
permissions in /etc, but it never hurts to try.

--
Neil Bothwick

Guns don't kill people--it's those little pieces of lead.