On 01/02/12 12:09, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> What about fstab? An entry in there could override the openrc setting.
>> Good point, but how does that fstab entry appear if she hasn't done
>> updates? I suppose she might have been editing in fstab and made a
>> mistake? If she was editing she should certainly check it out.
I didn't do any edits to fstab - the file was the one I created on the
initial install on this computer a couple of months ago - computer is
reasonable new.
> I suspect Colleen did change something, but it didn't take effect until
> a reboot. I've been caught like that before now, make a seemingly
> insignificant change then get bitten a few weeks later when I reboot into
> a new kernel and blame the kernel.
The problem didn't have anything to do with a reboot.  I was trying to
get MySQL to recognize a database that I had created on my laptop and I
was following along with the documentation on the MySQL site.  I had
konsole open looking for stuff - I copied the database files that I
wanted to use in the location of the my.cnf file.  I noticed that I
didn't have konsole open at one point - thought that I had closed it and
when I started it up again, there was no prompt, only the black block
cursor.

>> Reading back through this thread I don't see whether Colleen tried my
>> suggestion about a creating a new user. My thought was that some KDE
>> config file somewhere got corrupted and a new user would not have that
>> same issue.
I did create a new user and it didn't help.  I've tried every suggestion
made in this thread to no avail.  For example, I changed the group of
/dev/pts to tty as others indicated that that was what it was supposed
to be.

> I doubt it will make a difference in this case as it it down to
> permissions in /etc, but it never hurts to try.
Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org