I tell you the right way todo it. Make it easy as possible, not so
difficult like the others in the thread!

Download system rescuecd (which is a nice gentoo system with lots of
beautiful tools running out of the box):

http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

download, burn and boot from the cd. This is a gentoo live cd, with
maintenance tools!

After you started from the cd, create a directotry, let us say: /mnt/gentooX

and mount your partition inside, where the entire tree lives in it.

if /dev/sda5 or whatever has the entire tree:

mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/gentooX

optionally mount the other partitions from your harddisk, if "opt" is in
your harddisk an own partition, otherwise look in your harddisk, in this
case:

/mnt/gentooX/etc/fstab

which shows you the partition table!

chroot the new environment:

mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc

if you need networking, otherwise leave this step away.
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile

after you did this, your are on your harddisks environment as root, and
you easily can issue this command:

passwd root

Tamer