James Broadhead wrote:
> On 2 February 2012 15:34, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Your reply made me think of something.  I had a XP reinstall once that
>>> required a number from MS because of the new mobo and hard drive.  They
>>> said it recognized the change in the serial numbers.  When I ran into
>>> that before tho, it installed fine but gave 30 days to put in the
>>> number.  Does winders 7 have something similar?
>>
>> When you install Windows 7, Vista or XP (SP3 or newer), you can
>> actually skip the product key step and it'll install as a trial
>> version (30-day? 90-day? something like that). You can then "upgrade"
>> to the real version by activating it when you're comfortable that
>> everything is working properly -- or don't activate it at all and
>> install Gentoo. Trying to keep it on-topic. :)
>
> This problem isn't related to Activation (which a lot of people have
> been describing). Those errors tend to be pretty explicit.
>
> In my experience, Windows 7 is relatively lax at install-time, and
> will give you 30 days leeway before it demands a key (which may or may
> not require calling the hotline).
>
> I'd say that you've either been hit by;
> - An incorrect OEM disk that's checking the BIOS for some kind of
> Manufacturer flag (and not getting what it wants).
> - A BIOS setting that Win7 doesn't like working with (I think that
> IDE-compat/AHCI is a good avenue of approach).  Mike's link looks good
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753)
>

> Also, install Linux, jeez :3

I'm working on the Linux thing.  He's warming up.  It's like I told him,
Firefox looks the same on Linux as it does on windoze.  The differences
between Linux, Kubuntu is what I am going for, and windoze is all under
the hood.  All they do is surf the web, check emails, and check on their
banking stuff, maybe pay a bill or two.

For what they do, Linux would be great.  He's good enough on puters to
upgrade Kubuntu too.  It's just point and clicky anyway.

Gentoo would be a bit much tho, unless I could build the packages here
and install them there as binaries.

I hope they get home soon.  I want to check the BIOS settings.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint: