Mick wrote:

> On Saturday 11 Feb 2012 07:47:41 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2012, 18:33:12 schrieb Daniel D Jones:
>> > I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October.
>> > After spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to
>> > get the upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to
>> > version 4.4.11.1.
>> >
>> > With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the
>> > bugs have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?
>>
>> I switched a long time ago, so I can't say anything about 'smoother' but
>> it does work, as long as you remove all mail ressources and add them back
>> one after another.
>
> Unfortunately, it does not work here on my test x86 stable box.  I have
> removed and added each resource more than a dozen times.  POP3 seems to
> broadly work (but it creates duplicate messages which once deleted are
> recreated) and IMAP4 does not show any messages in the Inbox.  The
> kaddressbook does not show the addresses.
>
> I've tried deleting akonadi databases, adding the resources or importing
> them and starting again many, many times to come to the conclusion that in
> my set
> up it just won't work.  I hope that code progress eventually restores
> functionality which I consider absolutely basic - i.e. to be able to read
> my messages and use my addresses.

I successfully imported two installations with IMAP accounts. On both system
the automated migration failed.

At one installation IMAP server was Courier and the mails were kept all on
the server, here I had to delete and recreate the accounts.

The other installation used IMAP to access MS Exchange server and my account
has typically no mail on the server, but all locally. After recreating my
account, none of my local mail was available anymore. However I simply had
to move (well, with backup) the contents of the old maildir folders to the
new one and all I had to do in KMail was to refresh the folders manually.
That was really fast - especially compared to that lengthly and unsuccessful
migration attempt.

Local addresses resources had to be recreated, an LDAP resource worked after
migration.

Nevertheless, it often feels like a 1.0 version, the old 4.4.x line had less
bugs.

> Having wasted far too much time for no positive result I'm now in hope
> that trinity desktop will come up with a solution that I was sorry to see
> left behind - KDE 3.5.

Yes, some apps in KDE4 are still not at the same level, however, a lot are
better. Unfortunately it seems those not-yet-at-same level are the more
essential ones.

Cheers,
Jörg