On Saturday, February 11, 2012 03:18:53 Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 11 Feb 2012 07:47:41 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2012, 18:33:12 schrieb Daniel D Jones:
> > > I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October.
> > > After spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to
> > > get the upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to
> > > version 4.4.11.1.
> > >
> > > With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the
> > > bugs have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?
> >
> > I switched a long time ago, so I can't say anything about 'smoother' but
> > it does work, as long as you remove all mail ressources and add them
> > back one after another.
>
> Unfortunately, it does not work here on my test x86 stable box.  I have
> removed and added each resource more than a dozen times.  POP3 seems to
> broadly work (but it creates duplicate messages which once deleted are
> recreated) and IMAP4 does not show any messages in the Inbox.  The
> kaddressbook does not show the addresses.
>
> I've tried deleting akonadi databases, adding the resources or importing
> them and starting again many, many times to come to the conclusion that in
> my set up it just won't work.  I hope that code progress eventually
> restores functionality which I consider absolutely basic - i.e. to be able
> to read my messages and use my addresses.
>
> Having wasted far too much time for no positive result I'm now in hope that
> trinity desktop will come up with a solution that I was sorry to see left
> behind - KDE 3.5.

Your experience sounds similar to mine.  I tried everything I could to get it
working with limited success to say the least.  I'm using POP3 to a server
sitting right here on the same local network, no IMAP.  Still had the problem
with duplicate emails, unable to import my fairly large archives of old email,
etc.

I don't have any desire to go back to KDE 3.5 - I like the 4.x changes to KDE.

I'm assuming then the upgrade to 4.8 didn't fix KDE and I'll just leave it
pinned for now.

--
"God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent -- it says so right here on
the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine