On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:37:44AM +0000, trevor donahue wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm experiencing a major problem right now. I've been using gentoo for
> several months now and I simply lllooove it!
> So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without
> updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I am
> left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting
> /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a
> revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more then
> 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...
> So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ and this
> left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).

My usual suspect for disk space in /usr/share/doc is kdelibs, with the
doc use flag turned on it installs the whole kde api documentation,
which takes a lot of space ...  so I either set -doc for
kde-base/kdelibs, or just set -doc globally and just enable it for
things i now I might need... (note that that won't remove all of the
/usr/share/doc dirs / files, but removes most of the large ones...)

yoyo