trevor donahue writes:

> So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without
> updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I am
> left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting
> /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a
> revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more
> then 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...

Use eclean-dist and eclean-pkg (in app-portage/gentoolkit) to delete your
distfiles.

If you instantly need more space, reduce the amount of reserved space for
the superuser, which is 5% as default:
tune2fs -m 2 /dev/your/partition
Don't reduce it to 0, the lower this value is, the more fragmentation you
will get.

> So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ and
> this left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).
>
> So the questions are ... in cases like this, what should be done? what
> is storing this much space? logs?

You need to find out for yourself. I sometimes simply do a du -mx
--max-depth=1 / to see which directory has what amount of data in it.
Repeat for interesting directories like /usr/share/doc, and you will see
what takes big space. Add a '| sort -n' to get sorted output. Or better
use sys-fs/ncdu which is interactive.

If you prefer something graphical, there are many alternatives:

Baobab in gnome-extra/gnome-utils
kde-base/filelight
k4dirstat in kde-misc/kdirstat
Konqueror -> View -> View Mode -> File Size View (or something like that
in English)
jdiskreport in sys-fs/jdiskreport-bin

        Wonko