On Mar 14, 2012 7:10 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

---- >8 snippage

> So, you need something to handle device files on /dev, so you don't
> need every possible device file for every possible piece of hardware.
> But then you want to handle the same device with the same device name,
> so you need some kind of database. Then for the majority of users,
> they want to see *something* happen when they connect aa piece of
> hardware to their computers. So you need to handle the events
> associated with the connections (or discovery, for things like
> Bluetooth) of the devices, and since udev is already handling the
> database and the detection of connections/discovery, I agree with the
> decision of leting udev to execute programs when something gets
> connected. You could get that function in another program, but you are
> only moving the problem, *and it can also happen very early at boot
> time*, so lets udev handle it all the time.
>
> I hope you see where I'm going. As I said before, mdev could (in
> theory) do the same that udev does. But then it will be as complicated
> as udev, *because it is a complicated problem* in general. And I again
> use my fuel injection analogy: it is not *necessary*. It is just very
> damn convenient.

FWIW, mdev is perfectly capable of handling device events, and (optionally)
firing an arbitrary script.

The way I see it, udev is trying to be everything regarding devices, while
mdev is purposefully limiting itself to creating proper nodes under /dev.

That (udev's wanting to do *everything*) to me seems counter against the
philosophy of Unix-y apps: do one thing, and do it well.

And that's why I don't like udev; for it to be able to do everything under
the sun, it needs stuffs.

Rgds,