On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:57:39 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:

> > > How do I find out if I am actually *using* an initramfs right now
> > > (I  know it
> > > is built into the kernel), and
>
> ls -l /boot/ will tell you.

No it won't, as the initramfs can be built into the kernel image.

> There is a difference between an initrd (initial RAM disk) image
> (simple) and an initramfs (initial RAM filesystem) (complicated).

I think you have that the wrong way round. An initramfs is simpler in
that you don't have to worry about creating a filesystem or even creating
the image file, just give the kernel compilation process a file
containing a list of what should be in it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Middle-age - because your age starts to show at your middle.