Paul Hartman writes:

> I realize this thread is bigger than an encyclopedia by now, so I
> apologize if this has already been suggested. :)

Well, I'm happy for any input on this :)  This problem is really annoying.

> I'm curious if you look at /proc/interrupts if the disk with I/O
> problems is sharing interrupt with some other device. Maybe there is a
> conflict of some sort.
>
> On my motherboard, one of the SATA controllers shares an interrupt
> with the soundcard, for example.

Good point. But this does not seem to be the case. The only lines that
have multiple entries are two interrupts with ohci_hdc and snd_hda_intel, that
should be no problem. The two ahci entries have their own
interrupts.

I did not yet find the time to remove the plasmoids (all is fine in
other window managers, or for another user with a plain unconfigured KDE
desktop), today I dealt with a horrible and weird qt upgrade experience on
another PC. Finally I was able to downgrade to 4.7, and at least stuff is
working again there.

        Wonko