On 2012-05-14 11:26 AM, Michael Scherer <a6702...@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:
in my opinion it isn't. with top posting I see the newest message
immediately, while otherwise I need page through sometimes
huge amounts of mostly obsolete comments.

This is only the case if the person who replies doesn't trim their quoted text - which is often the case when brain-dead top-posters try bottom (aka inline) posting...

where it's possible, I put my messages on top, and I've found
more than once forum-rules that require or at least recommend
top posting.

This isn't one of them...

but I garantee that I will get flames, why I do this and urge me
to change my habits.
obviously this is an ingrained habit on gentoo-users, but from
now on I'm going follow my habits and damn the flames.

Then you will not get much help here and your participation will be null and void.

You should always strive to adjust you habits to the rules of the forum you are participating in...

I loathe top-posting, but there are a few forums I participate in where that is the norm, so I just grin and bear it...