Just today I cannot log into one of my machines (the other has not had
an emerge since early yesterday and is ok).

With gdm, I don't get a welcome screen.  Just the funny cursor going
round and round.

With xdm, I do get the login screen, but both for me and for root,
after entering username/passwd the login box goes away for a few seconds
and then reappears.

For both root and me .xsession-errors has just one line
/usr/lib64/X11/xdm/Xsession: line 71: exec: xsm: not found

I do not have xsm merged on either the failed or working machine.
I will merge it now, but wonder why, if needed, update world didn't say
so.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
allan