On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> Just today I cannot log into one of my machines (the other has not had
> an emerge since early yesterday and is ok).
>
> With gdm, I don't get a welcome screen.  Just the funny cursor going
> round and round.

I had a similar problem with GDM back when I first tried GNOME 3.0.
The (very hard to track) reason was that my installation of GDM was
really old, and the group for the gdm had changed from the 2.x days. I
had to uninstall gdm, delete the user and group gdm, completely delete
/var/lib/gdm, and install gdm again for it to work.

What does

$ grep gdm /etc/passwd
$ grep gdm /etc/group

say?