Hi everyone,

Ok, here's my dilemma...

I have some new Dell R515 servers (12 bay versions). These do not have any Dell supported internal SD (or CF) card options for the hypervisor, but they do have an internal 2.5" dual SATA/SAS drive cage, for running a bootable OS (in my case the ESXi hypervisor)...

Well, I really hate the idea of wasting money and disk space (for 2 146GB SAS drives to be run in a mirror, what is being recommended to me) on something that only requires about 32MB to install (the hypervisor) when apparently there is a really cool option like:

for CF cards:
http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2sahdcf.php

or

for SD cards:
http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2sahdcf.php

I could get 2 of these for each server, each with a mirrored pair of CF (or SD) cards (mirror mode is defined by a jumper or switch on the adapter), then mirror those (in the BIOS), which would result in a total of FOUR CF (or SD) redundant cards (a mirror of 2 mirrored pairs) for the hypervisor... and I can do this for quite a bit less than even a SINGLE 146GB SAS drive...

Is there any reason NOT to do this?

What am I missing (other than the fact that Dell won't support this config, but I'm not using them for software support anyway)?

Appreciate any/all comments...

Charles