On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07 2012, walt wrote:
>
>> On 07/07/2012 07:33 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>>> Moreover the new printer entry in cups fails to print a test page (the
>>> old, cups-installed, entry continues to work).
>>
>> <sigh> Once again I forgot my number-one fallback move:  I always delete
>> all the existing printer devices after upgrading cups (or hplip) and run
>> hp-setup to reinstall them.  It has fixed many similar printing mysteries
>> for me in the past.
>>
>> If in doubt, back up all of your cups configuration files first :)
>
> I think I have done that in the past but let's do it again.
>
> 1.  By mistake I first did the (working) desktop.
>
>     A.  All printers deleted (via CUPS).
>
>     B.  Tried hp-setup.  If found the (irrelevant) laserjet and the all
>         in one officejet.  But, at the end, said it couldn't install the
>         fax since hplip wasn't build with fax support (correct).
>
>     C.  Everything still works!  Can print and scan.
>
> 2.  Next tried my backup laptop (it does emerge update world a day
>     before the main laptop).  It is called oldlap.
>
>     A.  All printers deleted (via CUPS).
>
>     B.  /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
>
>     C.  hp-setup: Tried Installing officejet.  Again (correctly) says
>         hplip not build with fax support.
>
>     D.  Fails to print test page (dialog below)
>
>     E.  Can't print test page from CUPS (pending forever).
>
>     F.  Can't scan.  xsane says "failed to open device 'hpaio:...'"
>
>     G.  Tried B-F for the laserjet with same bad result
>
> thanks again,
> allan
>

> =============== hp-setup dialog =================
>
> oldlap ~ # hp-setup
>
> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.6)
> Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0
>
> Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
> under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
>
> (Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to
> accept the default.)
>

> --------------------------------
> | SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
> --------------------------------
>
>   Num      Connection   Description
>            Type
> --------  ----------    -----------------------------------------
>   0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)
>   1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless
>                         (direct connection or JetDirect)
>
> Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1
>
> Using connection type: net
>
> -----------------
> | SELECT DEVICE |
> -----------------
>
> Num   Device URI                                 CUPS Printer(s)
> ---  -----------------------------------------  ------------------------
>  0   hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932  Officejet_7300_series,
>                                                 Officejet_7300_series,
> HPCC9932
> [...]

Stupid question...might your firewall be dropping packets? Check your
firewall logs.

Similarly, is there a difference in network connectivity between the
machine that works and the two that don't?

Also similarly, is the mfp on the wireless network along with the
functioning box, while the two nonfunctioning boxes are on the wired
side of your network? In that case, firewall and protection mechanisms
on the router might be interfering.

--
:wq