On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-u...@hadt.biz> wrote:
>>> Video-codecs? I haven't seen a video in years that was not playable by 64bit
>>> ffmpeg based players but worked with 32bit.
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> Lots of wmv files won't play in 64-bit. That's the only one I have
>> trouble with. They play fine in 32-bit Gentoo.
>>
> Mark, was thinking of you and your videos that don't play on 64bit when
> I read Volkers statement :)
> ffmpeg know lots of shit, but not all if it.

Yeah, that's the truth. I suspect this specific case just lacks a
smart developer who wants to figure it all out and do the work to make
an Open Source codec that plays the file type, but maybe there's
patents and other junk that gets in the way.

And really, as I use a lot of VM's all day long, it doesn't seem
overly important any more. It's trivial to just run a Windows VM to
play wmv files whereas finding someone in the Linux world who actually
cares about supporting and promoting the wmv format seems like a waste
of my time and theirs. They can work on better things.

Cheers,
Mark