On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's the truth. I suspect this specific case just lacks a
>>> smart developer who wants to figure it all out and do the work to make
>>> an Open Source codec that plays the file type, but maybe there's
>>> patents and other junk that gets in the way.
>>
>> It's possible they just don't have a sample to work with. If you can
>> send it to them, they can at least add it to their samples archives.
>>

>>> And really, as I use a lot of VM's all day long, it doesn't seem
>>> overly important any more. It's trivial to just run a Windows VM to
>>> play wmv files whereas finding someone in the Linux world who actually
>>> cares about supporting and promoting the wmv format seems like a waste
>>> of my time and theirs. They can work on better things.
>>
>> There are containers and codecs. Most containers are supported,
>> leaving the codecs.
>>
>> Can you post the output of 'mplayer -identify $filename' on that file?

> Point me toward a samples archive and I'll post a file.

There may be no need. Not sure.

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/750

That said, you might get in touch with mike (at) multimedia.cx, as
he's had a long history of involvement. Offer the sample, mention it's
a codec you need to view frequently. Perhaps ask who you might poke
who'd have an interest in it. I'd probably include the above link.

> The file plays audio in mplayer. There is no video which is consistent
> with what I see here. Granted, this is 64-bit and I don't have
> win32codecs installed which is what plays it on the 32-bit VM.

[snip]

Yeah, it's MSS2. And it sounds like upstream is aware of it.

--
:wq