Mick wrote:
> On Monday 06 Aug 2012 10:42:17 Dale wrote:
>
>> If it has a issue, hopefully
>> the test will bring that to the front now instead of later.
> Or it is just going to knacker your drive and make it fail earlier that it
> would otherwise (esp if you overheat it)?  ha, ha!

Well, if it is going to fail because of anything, including heat, I
would rather it do so BEFORE I put my stuff on it.  Right now, a backup
is not possible other than a blue ray or something.  Also, I have a
Cooler Master case with the fan blowing right on the drives.  If it gets
hot and blows a fuse, it has a problem anyway.  It may as well die early
while under warranty.

>> P. S.  What is a good way to back up something this large BESIDES
>> another drive the same size or larger?  I thought about getting a blue
>> ray burner but even that will take a lot of media.  Another drive is all
>> I can think of myself.
> Splitting it?
>
> Partimage would do that and so would star/tar for fs level backups.

Split what?  The drive into two partitions or something?  If that is
what you mean, if it dies, I'd still loose it all.  If you meant two
drives, well, I only have one on the way right now.  It will be a while
before I can get another.  In the past, I just backed up stuff on DVDs.
3Tbs is a lot of DVDs tho.  It won't take to long to fill that up
either.  I love my DSL.  lol

I hope to get another drive in the future tho.  Just going to be a
little while.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!