Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> Well, I don't want to force it to fail just for the heck of it.
> Of course...
>
>> I just
>> want to make sure it is not going to fail in the first few months of
>> use.
> But what you don't know about those failed drives is whether the user
> could have predicted it by watching the smartctl data more closely.
>
> Dead out of the box is dead. However a drive failing in a couple of
> months _might_ have showed up in the smartctl output in which case the
> user could have transferred data to a new drive.
>
> Keep in mind, that's all you're talking about here. You don't want to
> spend the money for a second drive, but you know you'll have to do
> _something_ if the drive starts failing. Not having backups isn't a
> good plan...
>
> Take care,
> Mark

I realize that not having backups is not good.  Thing is, I really don't
have a way to back up that much data.  Heck, I got about 1Tb that will
be transfered to the new drive when I feel it is ready.  Other than a
second drive, I have no means of backing up that much data.  I thought
about a blue ray burner but even that is a lot of media.  I think I
figured up over a 100.  Plain DVDs are even worse.

My plan is to watch the logs and buy another drive as soon as I can.  In
the meantime, it is what it is.  I don't like it but I can't change it
either.  If it helps any, I have only had one drive to ever fail on me.
It was a WD and was pretty old.  It gave me enough warning to get the
data off tho.  We gotta love that.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!