meino.cra...@gmx.de writes:

...shot in the dark:
Remove as much as possible of the cards, addons, connections etc
from the PC ... make in as much "bare bone" as possible.

Done already.

Check All coolers (the little ones also) for dust. Remove all
dust even if it is not completly covered with it.

They are clean.

Dont forget the internals of the power supply. Detach all cables.
Remove the power supply. Go outside ;) and blow the dust inside away.

I did not remove it yet... but if it's a temperature problem, it should not happen right after 30 seconds, when Grub already fails. The voltages reported in the BIOS are okay, but I don't know it this information is accurate and reliable.

Put the power supply back into the PC again an attach the cables.

If I only could find a spare one... I have it, but I don't know where.

Remove all RAM, carefully clean the contacts, insert as less RAM as
possible.

Did that, using only 4 of 16 GB, and I switched the modules.

Remove even the HD if it is possible to get into the BIOS
without any HD attached.

I also did that, only the CD-ROM is attached.

Remove the BIOS battery, wait at least a day and insert it again.

That's worth a try. My old PC had a jumper which I could short circuit to instantly drain it, not sure if this was normal.

Start the PC and go directly into the BIOS. Check the date/time.
If it shows the current date/time, the battery wasn't removed
long enough. Check the battery voltage. Reinsert the battery.
If your board has a BIOS reset: Reset the BIOS.

Then: In the BIOS enter a page which "does something"
(reports continously temperatures for example).

If this is possible, let the PC run for a
while that BIOS page and see, whether it
hangs again or not.

Okay, I will do this.

If all went fine, add ONE component and try it again.
Add the HD at last to sort out hardware from software bugs...

Nah, I cannot even boot from my USB stick any more. I don't have a boot partition on my hard drive, so it is not involved there.

May be one of the components and not the CPU or motherboard
causes the problem and you will be able to identify it by
this procedure...

I hope it's the power supply, this would mean the least effort. I'd simply buy a new one, and I would not have to think about what board or which CPU I would like to get.

HTH!

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks! I can need it.

        Wonko