Am 04.09.2012 22:09, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 10:53:38 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> If you are using hibernate/suspend thingys then that is different.
>> Isn't that when it has to be at least as much swap as you have ram?
>
> Not necessarily because the data is compressed before saving, but you
> can't know how much it is going to compress, so only if your RAM is all
> used up with incompressible data (an unlikely scenario) will you need
> that much.

I think the capability of compressing hibernate images is still limited
to sys-kernel/tuxonice-sources.

> Not that hibernating a system with 16GB is ever going to be fast enough
> to be worth bothering with. As Alan has discovered, it can take longer
> than a cold boot.

Yes but (at least with tuxonice) you don't need to repopulate your
in-memory disk cache which might again save you time. However, I find it
easier to just suspend. In my experience it is more stable and many
modern laptops can easily survive a week in suspension.

Regards,
Florian Philipp